[U-Boot-Users] Help about tftp download

Bob Peterson bob at acdstar.com
Tue Nov 1 15:53:19 CET 2005

Hi Li,

The "T T T T T" messages indicate a timeout, which means the client thinks
the packets are going out and not getting a reply.  I've seen this
many times and
it can mean many different things.  I'm not all-knowing and all-seeing, but I
can make some suggestions.  First, make sure that you have a file called
"tftp" in /etc/xinetd.d/ (assuming you use xinetd rather than inetd).
The file should look something like this:

service tftp
{
         disable = no
         socket_type = dgram
         protocol = udp
         wait = yes
         user = root
         server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
}
#       server_args = /tftpboot

Second, make sure you have /usr/sbin/in.tftpd and if not, get it.

Third, make sure there aren't any duplicate devices in your network that may
be holding the same address your tftp client is trying to use.

Fourth, check your client's u-boot environment variables to make sure
the settings
are right for client and server ip addresses.

If none of this works, use /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i eth0 (whatever your ethX is) on
your host to see if the tftp packets are making it to the host at all.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson