[U-Boot-Users] Help about tftp download

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Nov 1 16:37:02 CET 2005

> At 06:50 AM 11/1/2005, Li Weichen wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I am trying to download u-boot.bin to OMAP5912OSK through tftp.  But
>> when I
>> type the commad in u-boot prompt, it shows following error messages:
>>
>> OMAP5912 OSK # tftpboot 0x10000000 /tftpboot/u-boot.bin TFTP from server
>> 192.168.4.1; our IP address is 192.168.4.190 Filename
>> '/tftpboot/u-boot.bin'.
>> Load address: 0x10000000
>> Retry count exceeded; starting again
>>
>> What's wrong with my setups?
>>
>> Thank you and best regards!
>>
>> Li Weichen
>> 2005-11-1
>
> Bob Peterson wrote:
> Hi Li,
>
> The "T T T T T" messages indicate a timeout, which means the client thinks
> the packets are going out and not getting a reply.  I've seen this many
> times and
> it can mean many different things.  I'm not all-knowing and all-seeing,
> but I
> can make some suggestions.  First, make sure that you have a file called

[snipped good advice]

> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Peterson

Another suggestion: from a (linux) box command line, tftp to your server
and verify that it works.  Your message is indicating that your server
is 192.168.4.1 and the file you are trying to get is
/tftpboot/u-boot.bin so do the following (I'm typing this from memory,
so it may not be quite right)...

$ tftp 192.168.4.1
tftp> get /tftpboot/u-boot.bin

Getting TFTP to work (i.e. properly configured) usually solves the
problem in my experience.

gvb