[U-Boot-Users] Moving u-boot location in ram to do full mem-test?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 23 00:32:29 CET 2005

In message <dlveaq$o5p$1 at sea.gmane.org> you wrote:

> I'm using "mtest" to test the sdram somewhat, but parts of the ram is
> ofcourse left untested doing so - due to stack- and u-boot positioning.

Not to forget exception vectors.

> So, I would like to make a new u-boot binary that offered me the
> possibility to test the first part - from "0x0" to "0x108F" and from
> "0x3f8af37" to "0x3ffffff".

Ummm... I seriously doubt  if  this  is  worth  the  effort.  Typical
problems  like  unconnected  or  shorted  data  or  address  lines or
crosstalk will show up very reliably with the existing test. And  the
really  nasty  problems  usually happen with burst mode accesses, and
these are *not* covered by any such memory test at all.

In my opinion the test as is is good enough  as  is  to  find  coarse
problems, and if you really want to stress test your memory just boot
Linux  with  root  file  system  mounted over NFS and compile a Linux
kernel on the target. No smiley here, I really mean it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Brontosaurus Principle: Organizations  can  grow  faster  than  their
brains  can manage them in relation to their environment and to their
own physiology: when this occurs, they are an endangered species.
                                                - Thomas K. Connellan