[U-Boot-Users] Question about u-boot relocation

Aitor Garcia carrierphasejitter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 09:58:50 CEST 2005

Hello everybody,

I am using mx1fs2 board based on an arm920t core.

I am new to u-boot and I have read the faq and now I
am reading very carefully start.S initialization code
to understand the relocation process.

This is what I don't understand:

Theoretically, when u-boot starts executing from
flash, it configures some basic registers, configures
the sdram
controller, relocates itself to sdram and continues
executing code from sdram.

But in practice, I don't understand how it is possible
that u-boot can run from flash because analyzing the
binary it looks that it is
only linked to run from sdram. vma=lma=sdram address.

arm-unknown-linux-gnu-objdump -h  u-boot
u-boot:     file format elf32-littlearm
Sections:
Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File
off  Algn
  0 .text         000138a4  08f00000  08f00000
00008000  2**5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that lma should be
flash address.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me any
pointer.

Best Regards,

Aitor