[U-Boot-Users] USB-storage or NAND-flash on AMCC 440ep (bamboo)

André Berggren andre.berggren at optronic.se
Fri Oct 14 11:36:41 CEST 2005

Hi all!

Are there any known bugs for USB-storage on this CPU in u-boot?

We have a custom board based on bamboo and thinking on booting from USB instead of NAND because of the long initiation time for jffs2 on NAND-flash.
At the moment JFFS2 initiation takes about 35s, and loading kernel, root-image and a fpga-image to ram take another 1m 40s.

Will it be faster if we use USB-storage instead? We are currently using USB-storage in Linux with ext3 fs.

I'll tried "usb start" command in u-boot but get the following output:

=> usb start
(Re)start USB...
USB:   USB 1.1 Device init
scanning bus for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... ERROR: CTL:TIMEOUT
ERROR: CTL:TIMEOUT
ERROR: CTL:TIMEOUT
.
.
.
ERROR: CTL:TIMEOUT
Device NOT ready
   Request Sense returned 00 00 00
0 blocks read: ERROR

If I then do "usb tree" I can se that the USB-storage is actually found.

=> usb tree

Device Tree:
  1  Hub (12MBit/s, 0mA)
  |   OHCI Root Hub

  +-2  Mass Storage (12MBit/s, 100mA)
       SanDisk Corporation Cruzer Mini SNDK319F2529C8108706

"usb info" shows even more info, but "usb storage" reports no storage device.

=> usb storage
No storage devices, perhaps not 'usb start'ed..?

Is USB-storage the way to go or is there a way to speed up jffs2?

Regards,
André