[U-Boot-Users] Jffs2 filesystem image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 20 18:12:26 CEST 2005

In message <1129821536.5419e1fcS3092131 at student.rmit.edu.au> you wrote:

> As per manual when we use the mkfs.jffs2 tool to create
> the jffs2.img we have to specify rootfs_devices.tab,
> but i couldnt find it in eldk kit. Where is this file
> supposed to be.?

RTFM. http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/RootFileSystemOnARamdisk
explains this.

> I created a jffs2.img without specifying the rootfs_devices.tab
> option,but the size of this file is about 3.55 MB.
> Is this jffs2 filesystem image supposed to be that big.

It depends on what you put in it, if you stripped  the  binaries  and
libraries,  or  not, etc. We do not know what you have been doing, so
how could we comment?

> When i use mkimage -l jffs2.img, it says Bad Magic Number.

Yes, of course. A JFFS2 file system image is created  by  mkfs.jffs2,
not  by  the  U-Boot mkimage tool, so why would you expect it to have
valid U-Boot image headers?

> So i cannot even transfer this file on the flash since
> U-boot would complain as Bad Magic Number.

Please go back to reading the documentation.

> So how do i create the jffs2 filesystem image and load it
> in flash so that i can issue
> bootm <load address of kernel> <load address of jffs2 image>

You cannot. Bootm can only be used with (or without) ramdisk images,,
but not with filesystems in a MTD partition. RTFM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Business is like a wheelbarrow. Nothing ever happens until you  start
pushing.