[U-Boot-Users] Using GDB with u-boot and BDI2000 on MPC8245

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 3 11:29:50 CEST 2005

Hello,

in message <50e92330050902191223c38230 at mail.google.com> you wrote:

> I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this is in the archive somewhere.

Why should we? Being new is definitely no  excuse  for  ignoring  the
rules.

> Item 1.  Existing instructions and code don't support modern
> toolchains.  For example, when we built u-boot-1.1.3 with gcc-4.0.1,
> we immediately found three odious treatments of lvalue++ (and close
> relatives) as lvalues.  Just install a recent toolchain: the error
> messages are crystal clear.

Just use current source and (most of) the problems have been solved.

Is ther any specific reason why you *must* use GCC-4.x ?

> Item 2.  GDB requires careful crafting to build and kinda limps in flash.

It does not.

>   a. We initially tested with the recommended GDB 5.x versions.  We
> received mainly seg faults for our efforts.  Likely something new and
> unexpected in gcc-4.* symbol tables.

Sounds like you have a tool conflict then. What has this to  do  with
U-Boot?

>   b. We're using crosstool scripts [http://kegel.com/crosstool/] to
> build our shiny new toolchain.  Crosstool has a hidden option to build

This is not the place to discuss crosstool issues.

>   c. A gentleman was kind enough to send a tarball with markings of
> 6.3.50.20050725-cvs that can be built and does work.  My main concern
> with this is we don't really know what is in this tarball.  Those

Go ansd ask said gentleman. How should we know?

>   d. Our working-if-mysterious GDB is reliable, but still doesn't play
> nicely with the BDI2000 and flash memory.  Perhaps this will be
> familiar to some of you:
>
>     (gdb) d b
>     Delete all breakpoints? (y or n) y
>     (gdb) tb 325
>     Breakpoint 3 at 0xfff08ba4: file cpu_init.c, line 325.
>     (gdb) c
>     Continuing.
>     Warning:
>     Cannot insert breakpoint 3.
>     Error accessing memory address 0xfff08ba4: Unknown error 4294967295.

Are you sure you are using hardware breakpoints?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
					             - Dennis Ritchie