[U-Boot-Users] MPC8280 mkimage: "...has invalid buffer for XIP"

KokHow Teh KokHow.Teh at marconi.com
Tue Sep 6 11:57:20 CEST 2005

Hi;
      Sorry I didn't read the documentation before posting. Now I have read
and here are my observations and questions:

(1) Is XIP kernel only applicable with a specific patch? My Linux host is
running 2.4.20 and when I `make xconfig`, I don't see any XIP option
available at all. Where can I download the patches for specific
kernel-version and architectures?

(2) After I have read through the archives with search results for "XIP", I
gather that there are only 3 architectures that currently support XIP which
are SH, PPC and ARM?
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9491873

(3) What are the general rule-of-thumb to prepare an XIP kernel/application
for booting from u-boot with `bootm` if it is NOT linux? I see from
`mkimage.c` source code that the first 64 bytes of the binary image to
`mkimage` must be filled with 0xff. Does it mean that if it is not Linux
and we can't follow the guidelines provided in
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ConfigureLinuxForXIP, we must,
therefore, by hook or by crook, free up the first 64 bytes of the binary
image and fill it with 0xFF in the make process so that the binary image is
applicable to `mkimage`? BTW, I am using
eldk-ppc-linux-x86/usr/bin/ppc_6xx-objcopy to prepare the binary image for
`mkimage`.

      Thanks for any input.

Regards,
TEH