[U-Boot-Users] MPC8280 mkimage: "...has invalid buffer for XIP"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 6 13:18:39 CEST 2005

In message <OF82202681.87CD4375-ON48257074.00350BDA at uk.marconicomms.com> you wrote:

>       Sorry I didn't read the documentation before posting. Now I have read
> and here are my observations and questions:
>
> (1) Is XIP kernel only applicable with a specific patch? My Linux host is

Read the documentation again.

> running 2.4.20 and when I `make xconfig`, I don't see any XIP option
> available at all. Where can I download the patches for specific
> kernel-version and architectures?

Read the documentation again. There is an attachment. You  will  have
to adapt it to your specific kernel version yourself.

> (2) After I have read through the archives with search results for "XIP", I
> gather that there are only 3 architectures that currently support XIP which
> are SH, PPC and ARM?

And what exactly is your question?

> (3) What are the general rule-of-thumb to prepare an XIP kernel/application
> for booting from u-boot with `bootm` if it is NOT linux? I see from
> `mkimage.c` source code that the first 64 bytes of the binary image to
> `mkimage` must be filled with 0xff. Does it mean that if it is not Linux

This is necessary so mkimage can overwrite this  ara  with  it's  own
image header.

> and we can't follow the guidelines provided in
> http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ConfigureLinuxForXIP, we must,

If you have a different OS you must  obviously  find  out  about  the
requirements  of  his  OS  and  eventually adapt U-Boot to meet these
requirements.

> therefore, by hook or by crook, free up the first 64 bytes of the binary
> image and fill it with 0xFF in the make process so that the binary image is
> applicable to `mkimage`? BTW, I am using

This depends on your target OS.  It  may  have  completely  different
features  and requirements. for example, if it can generate position-
independent code none of this is needed.

> Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>@denx.de on 09/06/2005 04:53:10 PM
>
> Sent by:    wd at denx.de

I tell you one more time: Please don't top-post/full-quote.

Read the netiquette, see for example http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
                - Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982