[U-Boot-Users] Problem to boot with Multi-File Image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 16 10:13:58 CEST 2005

[Please keep the mailing list on Cc:!]

In message <OFE8693F4B.1B31392F-ON6525707E.002A1DF5-6525707E.002BE3EE at tcs.com> you wrote:

> What  is the significance of Load address and Entry point?

The load address  is  where  your  uncompressed  kernel  gets  loaded
(copied)  to,  and  the  entry  point address is, umm, well, it's the
kernel's entry point address.

> Can I choose A1, A2, A3 arbitrarily? Is there any dependency on
> ARM/PPC/MIPS architecture on the address A1, A2, A3?

No, you cannot chose these addresses  arbitrarily.  They  must  match
your   architecture,   your   board's  memory  map  and  your  kernel
configuration.

BTW: allthis has been discussed many times before on  this  list;  it
would have been a good idea to search a bit in the archives.

> What is the justification of saying "This is bound to fail on ARM" for
> load address =0 and entry point =0?

ARM has usually ROM at address 0; you will not be able to  copy  your
kernel  to  this address; the following jump to this address provokes
undefined behaviour.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to  make  real  computers
act like the ones in movies.