[U-Boot-Users] Installing U-Boot on target via USB/serial using U-Boot commands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 19 23:06:25 CEST 2005

In message <432F25F1.6070705 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> An option is to preload u-boot into your flash chip via a chip
> programmer before you put it on the board, but that is a very nasty
> solution.  The best solution is to get a JTAG debugger.

I know of a board manufacturer (who shall go unnamed here)  who  uses
the  following  procedure  to (re-) install U-Boot in flash: unsolder
the flash chips, re-ball the BGAs, reprogram the chips in a  standard
flash programmer, re-solder. They think this is cheaper than buying a
JTAG debugger... [No smiley here; guess why.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
                                                    - a saying at RPI