[U-Boot-Users] Installing U-Boot on target via USB/serial using U-Boot commands

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Sep 19 22:56:17 CEST 2005

Goswami Jigisha-ejg014 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to find out if U-Boot can be installed on my new target (with
> no bootloader previously installed) via serial or USB interface using
> U-Boot commands? I read the U-Boot manual that- if no bootloader is
> previously installed on the target, a BDM or JTAG interface and can
> be used. However I want to find out if only U-Boot can be used to
> install itself over serial or USB interface. Can anyone help here?
>
> (I have disabled HTML but if it still appears, I apologize for that)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jigisha Goswami

No.  Flash as it comes from the factory is erased... your CPU would
execute a program entirely of 0xFFs, not very interesting.

You need to load a program (e.g. u-boot) into your flash before you can
execute u-boot to reload flash.

JTAG allows you to load a program into flash using a special JTAG debug
port, typically with the help of the CPU, but the CPU isn't executing
instructions in the classic sense.

An option is to preload u-boot into your flash chip via a chip
programmer before you put it on the board, but that is a very nasty
solution.  The best solution is to get a JTAG debugger.

No HTML.  Thanks :-).  Your line length was rather long, however :-/.

gvb