[U-Boot-Users] Fail Safe: Redundant U-boot Images in Flash????

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 23 20:56:39 CEST 2005

In message <5F98E47AD7B1C349895ED4E2EDF3918B01F291FB at stca209a> you wrote:

> Has anyone ever implemented duel U-boot images in flash as a fail safe
> mechanism? A primary U-boot image, and a backup U-boot image incase the
> primary image is invalid.

It is impossible - there is only one reset entry point.

> I understand there needs to be a single boot point with verification to
> determine which image to boot from. Is there a mechanism already in U-boot
> that can do this?

How would you determine which image to boot?

What you typically do (assuming the hardware supports it) is to  have
two  banks  of  flash memory that can be swapped using some jumper or
switch or so.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One lawyer can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
- The Godfather