[U-Boot-Users] Fail Safe: Redundant U-boot Images in Flash????

Dan Malek dan at embeddedalley.com
Fri Sep 23 21:22:00 CEST 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> What you typically do (assuming the hardware supports it) is to  have
> two  banks  of  flash memory that can be swapped using some jumper or
> switch or so.

What I have done in the past is evaluate what you really want to
be updating, and found I didn't really need to update U-Boot itself.
I will write some U-Boot applications, as a second stage loader
that you can then select, and is usually the code that needs to
change over the life of the product.  This way, you always have a
working, never changing, U-Boot that can always be used to
recover from other mistakes ;-)

In my experience, all of the "fail safe" systems only had that
concept in common.  The implementation and update procedures
were always different.  The other thing in common is we never
planned to update the original U-Boot, since that was never necessary
with a mult-stage boot process.

Thanks.

	-- Dan