[U-Boot-Users] Run Time Changes in bdinfo

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 3 16:53:00 CEST 2006

In message <21c86c970604030652m785bd092y534ded8cce91ce28 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I am using U-boot loader 1.1.4 with ARM Integrator/CP. I ported my
> u-boot loaders and kernel in Flash and while running i didnt get any
> warning information for default environment. I could ensure that board
> has not been loaded with default settings. However while displaying
> __bdinfo__ i am getting bad instructions. I could see my settings are
> crashed. I could see the value of ARCH only has crashed.

I don't understand. What exactly  is  happening?  Does  "getting  bad
instructions"  mean  that  U-Boot crashed with an illegal instruction
exception?

What does "the value of ARCH only has crashed" mean? Do you  want  to
tell  us that the content of bi_arch_number is wrong? In which way is
it wrong? What does "crashed" mean? Do yoiu have  reasons  to  assume
that  there  was  a  correct  value  stored  in this variable, and it
suddenly changed the content?

> Is bdinfo using Hex value for Arch and Params?

Oops? Please look up the structure definition. These are plain binary
data (unsigned long).

> How to change the ARCH and params in Run Time?

You don't. The code is supposed to set up the values correctly.

> While I am trying to copy my flash data into __0x7fc0__ entry always I

Please define what "my flash data" means, and  how  exactly  you  are
trying  to  copy  it,  and  why you think that 0x7fc0 would be a good
address to copy to.

> am getting bad magic number and when I came to display my entry using
> __md__ no data has been copied into memory in __0x7fc0__. Where will
> be the problem?

The main problem is with your way to report the problem -  you  don't
provide  any  clear  information  (like  logs  of  the  actual  error
messages), and your description is a bit vague.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report! - Ken Burchill?