[U-Boot-Users] BDI vs. Lauterbach

Andrey Volkov avolkov at varma-el.com
Mon Apr 10 15:00:41 CEST 2006

On Monday, April 10, 2006, David Snowdon wrote:

> G'Day,

> I've been looking at a few of the posts regarding debugging tools,
> and the standard answer on this list appears to be "Get a BDI2000".
> I'm presently looking at getting a debugger to use to bring up a new
> board, get U-Boot going, and eventually do a lot of OS work (a new OS
> that we're developing - see http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au -- sorry,
> shameless plug).

> Some people that we are working with use the Lauterbach Trace32 tools
> extensively, and we've had some good experiences with them. I was
> wondering if anyone on this list had used both (particularly while
> developing U-Boot), and how the BDI-2000 stacks up against the
> Lauterbach equivalent. (Apart from being significantly cheaper).

Pros:
     BDI - 10Mbit eth, Lauterbach - 100 Mbit.
     Lauterbach scalable and simply extendable, BDI - not.
Cons:
     BDI support gnu toolchain natively (in GDB server mode),
     Lauterbach - not (sometime it parsing elf/dwarf correctly,
     sometime, usually in critical cases :), not).
     And you are know, hmm, strange Lauterbach price policy:
     price of BDI firmware for a new CPU target is approx. 1000 eur,
     for the Lauterbach - price of new device.

--
Regards,
Andrey Volkov