[U-Boot-Users] Kernel Boot Problem - u-boot v1.0.1 - OMAP 730 P2 - v2.6.9-rc1-omap1

Chetan Kapoor chetan.kapoor at flextronicssoftware.com
Thu Apr 20 16:41:17 CEST 2006

Hello

I am trying to boot kernel version 2.6.9-rc1-omap1 on my OMAP P2 730
target board, but am facing problems in the kernel boot process. I am
using u-boot version 1.0.1, which has been burnt to the target's NOR
flash.

u-boot 1.0.1 is up and running on the target, and I use the command 'loadb
0x(addr)' along with triggering a send file (protocol->kermit) on the
hyperterminal to download the kernel image 'uImage' on to the target's
RAM. 'uImage' is created using a utility 'mkimage' which is created by
u-boot build process. I specified the load address & entry point as
0x10008000 while creating the uImage.

I also made sure that I properly specify the environment variables for
u-boot, the most important one being 'bootargs'. The following command was
given at the u-boot prompt to specify 'bootargs'.

OMAP730 P2 # setenv bootargs mem=32M console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/ram0
rw initrd=0x10400000,1M devfs=mount

The ramdisk image was then downloaded to the target's RAM over the serial
line at the 'initrd' address - 0x10400000. Having done everything by the
book, I now issue the following command to boot the kernel:

OMAP730 P2 # bootm 0x10008000 0x10400000

The traces received on the hyperterminal are:

## Booting image at 10008000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.9-rc1-omap1
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    864600 Bytes = 844.3 kB
   Load Address: 10008000
   Entry Point:  10008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   XIP Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

                -----> and the execution stucks beyond this point. The
system freezes right after u-boot finishes uncompressing the image for
startup. Nothing is output after that & there are no responses to any
input from the terminal.

I am not very sure if there is any missing step which is needed to make
the kernel boot or maybe I am giving the load-address/entry-point wrongly
while building the kernel images.

Also, I tried changing the filed textaddr-y in the kernel makefile while
building the kernel zImage. Does any one have any idea that what does this
address signify & does it effect the kernel images created by the build
process. The original entry against the textaddr-y field in the kernel
Makefile was 0xC0008000 which was changed to 0x10008000 by me as the
former address looked a bit obscure & did not relate to the target's
memory map.

Please help me if anyone has faced the similar problem before or if anyone
can make out the missing link in the steps which I am doing in order to
boot the kernel image.

Your reply & suggestion will be of great help.

Chetan