[U-Boot-Users] Image date output from imls/iminfo when no rtc chip is present

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 25 23:50:22 CEST 2006

In message <444E85DF.2040204 at orkun.us> you wrote:
> Creation date of the U-Boot Image is suppressed from output of
> imls/iminfo commands if CFG_CMD_DATE is not included in CONFIG_COMMANDS.

No. That's only half of the story.

> However, CFG_CMD_DATE cannot be included unless you have an RTC chip on
> board.

Which seems logical to me, as "date" is the command to read  and  set
the RTC.

> I think the date of U-Boot image is useful information that we would
> like to see even if CFG_CMD_DATE is not defined.

Indeed.

> To such end, I thought of the following solution:

Don't re-invent the wheel, whit unnecessary complexity.

> What do you think? If there is agreement on CONFIG_RTC_NONE, I can
> submit a patch...

I disagree. Just RTFM...

Quoting the README:

- Timestamp Support:

                When CONFIG_TIMESTAMP is selected, the timestamp
                (date and time) of an image is printed by image
                commands like bootm or iminfo. This option is
                automatically enabled when you select CFG_CMD_DATE .

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,  therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offense.                   - E. W. Dijkstra