[U-Boot-Users] Redundant environment expected behavior vs current

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 26 12:05:20 CEST 2006

In message <444EC5F1.10205 at orkun.us> you wrote:

> I agree but we are already adding wear by writing the flag byte location
> of that sector. Failure of the flag byte will make it unusable as well.

One more comment on this: all we do is flipping a single bit  from  1
to 0.

This does NOT cause any additional flash wear, as it does not require
any erase cycle. And what can fail? The bit might turn out to be  not
programmable  any  more.  Than  we  have a flash error, which will be
reported. Your device is defect then, and needs to be replaced,  like
with any other flash sector failing.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Engineering without management is art."               - Jeff Johnson