[U-Boot-Users] Redundant environment expected behavior vs current

Randy Smith rsmith at imagemap.com
Wed Apr 26 15:25:05 CEST 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <444F684A.8060406 at imagemap.com> you wrote:
>
>> I am new to this but it seems that once we successfully write the
>> environment and protect it, how does (should) one go about writing that
>> same environment to the redundant sector?  Is it done with saveenv if
>> the redundant environment is enabled?  I guess I need to go look at the
>>

> Correct. All you need to do is call "saveenv" twice.  [That's  why  I
> can't see a real need for changing the code.]
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Just my uninformed opinion...It seems to me that calling saveenv twice
is misleading.  What I mean is that I assume that I have a "golden" copy
of my environment in the redundant area.  I should be able to call
saveenv as many times as I wish without touching the contents of the
"golden" copy and that there should be another mechanism to update the
"golden" copy.  I had no idea that calling saveenv twice will overwrite
the redundant area, but then again, I am in new to this.

-Randy Smith