[U-Boot-Users] Redundant environment expected behavior vs current

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 26 17:05:45 CEST 2006

In message <444F74B1.8060909 at imagemap.com> you wrote:

> Just my uninformed opinion...It seems to me that calling saveenv twice
> is misleading.  What I mean is that I assume that I have a "golden" copy
> of my environment in the redundant area.  I should be able to call

No. That "golden" copy is what we call "default  environment"  -  you
get  this  when you lose your environment (with redundand environment
it means that you lose both copies).

> saveenv as many times as I wish without touching the contents of the
> "golden" copy and that there should be another mechanism to update the
> "golden" copy.  I had no idea that calling saveenv twice will overwrite

That's not how redundance is defined. You are looking  for  a  backup
copy, which is provided by the default environment.

Note that updating the default environment is not trivial, as this is
compile-time defined.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Egotist: A person of low taste, more interested in  himself  than  in
me.                                                  - Ambrose Bierce