[U-Boot-Users] Redundant environment expected behavior vs current

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 26 18:12:24 CEST 2006

In message <444F91D0.9080904 at orkun.us> you wrote:

> Yet, the default environment normally does not contain such important
> stuff like ethaddr which is assigned per board.

If you consider params like MAC address and serial  number  critical,
than  make  sure  they  hetinitialized automatically; see for example
board/tqm8xx/load_sernum_ethaddr.c; here a special information  block
will  be  written  to  a  reserved area in flash (done as part of the
production, when MAC address and serial number get  assigned  to  the
board.   If  they  are  not  set  in  the  environment,  U-Boot  will
automatically pick the values from there.  Thus  you  can  combine  a
common  default  environment  with  board  specific  parameters  like
serial# or ethaddr.

Just look around a bit in the code. Many problems  have  been  solved
before.  Don't  reinvent  the  wheel.  Steel  the  code  -  it's free
software.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
        "Ever since they threatened to fire me."