[U-Boot-Users] Re: FT u-boot shim

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 28 11:51:25 CEST 2006

In message <200604281103.32689.pantelis at embeddedalley.com> you wrote:

> It's better to not have *any* way to screw up.

Indeed. I wonder why there are so many :-(

> > So you vote for keeping duplicated versions of the dts both in U-Boot
> > and in Linux?
>
> I vote for having it in u-boot only. The linux blob will be present only
> for kernels with a requirement to boot on non-OF firmware.

This will be some boards. SO we would have some boards where the  dts
is  in U-Boot, and some others were it is in the Linux kernel? And if
you want to use a board with different boot loaders, then...

...then we have a mess.

> Pay the cost in linux kernel size, for the Linux included blob size.

Agreed.

> Or use an earlier version of the kernel, with all that this entails.

I think cutting off support for recent kernel versions is  the  worst
thing we could do.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from a recent meeting:   "We are going to continue having these
meetings everyday until I find out why no work is getting done."