[U-Boot-Users] Re: FT u-boot shim

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Apr 28 18:10:05 CEST 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>> So you vote for keeping duplicated versions of the dts both in U-Boot
>>> and in Linux?
>>>
>> I vote for having it in u-boot only. The linux blob will be present only
>> for kernels with a requirement to boot on non-OF firmware.
>>

> This will be some boards. SO we would have some boards where the  dts
> is  in U-Boot, and some others were it is in the Linux kernel? And if
> you want to use a board with different boot loaders, then...
>
> ...then we have a mess.

Why can't we have dts compiled into 'vmlinux' perhaps marked as __init
(or something like it). If kernel is going to patch it anyway, why do we
pass a static file from u-boot?

I guess OF based system can omit compiling the dts into 'vmlinux' or if
bootlooder passes a tree compiled in dts would be ignored/freed if present.

Best regards,
Tolunay