[U-Boot-Users] Building u-boot error - Unknown FLASH

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 9 14:54:05 CEST 2006

In message <20060809111953.8291.qmail at web17802.mail.tpe.yahoo.com> you wrote:

>    I try to build u-boot-1.1.4 which downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-2006-06-30-2020.tar.bz2

[It won't help you here, but anyway: you should use  *current*  code,
i. e. top of tree in git repository.]

> I got the error message:
>
> /common/env_flase.c:265: undefined reference to "flash_probe"

Yes. This is a known problem. If you had searched  the  mailing  list
archive (or just read today's messages!) you should have known.

> so I comment the line 265 and line 266:
> /* if (flash_porbe() ==0 )  */
> /*       goto bad_flash     */
> and then build with on error message.

You misquote the code jhere.

> When I download the image to RAM, it shows:
> OMAP2420-GP revision 3
> TI H4 SDP Base Board + Menelaus Daughter Board + mDDR
> DRAM:  64 MB
> ## Unknown FLASH on Bank 0 - Size = 0x00000000 = 0 MB
> ## Unknown FLASH on Bank 1 - Size = 0x00000000 = 0 MB
> Flash:  0 kB
> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> OMAP242x H4 #
>
> Any suggestion ? Thanks

You got what you asked for. You commented out some arbitray piece  of
code (obviously without understanding or even thinking what you might
be doing), so please don't be surprised if it breaks.

"My car showed a 'no gas' message on the display. I  ripped  out  the
engine.  Not  that  message  is  gone,  but  the car won't start. Any
suggestions ?"

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All repairs tend to destroy the structure, to  increase  the  entropy
and  disorder  of the system. Less and less effort is spent on fixing
original design flaws; more and more is spent on fixing flaws  intro-
duced by earlier fixes.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"