[U-Boot-Users] Adding multiple MIPS based SoCs?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 22 16:48:12 CEST 2006

Hello,

in message <OF51A31EC6.B89D2950-ONC12571D2.004EA12B-C12571D2.004F2D04 at philips.com> you wrote:

> We are in the process of adding our internal U-Boot changes to the latest
> public U-Boot.  One "problem" we face is that we have multiple SoCs each
> with a (slightly) different MIPS core variant.  Adding them all under
> cpu/mips and #ifdef-ing start.S does not seem appealing.  Our preference
> is to have a separate cpu directory for each SoC, more or less as is done
> for the MPCs.  Any ideas, suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

There is no general answer so such a vague  question.  If  there  are
inded  only  slight  differences, separate directories would probably
contain mostly duplicated code, which is  unacceptable.  Then  rather
have  a few (I really mean *few*) #ifdef's, or call some private init
function which can be implemented in a board / SoC specific way.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to  make  real  computers
act like the ones in movies.