[U-Boot-Users] Makefile suggestion

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 24 00:07:29 CEST 2006

In message <008f01c6c6f2$1b58fd80$8f4765d5 at atmel.com> you wrote:

> The U-boot Makefile is quite large and growing.
> I have seen problem where a new patch breaks because another patch has been applied
> between the checkout of the source dir and the acceptance of the patch.
> ("avr32" board support breaks on "blackfin")

These are normal merge conflicts, and usually trivial to resolve.

> The main function of the proposed patch is to add:
> "include    board/*/board.mk"
> to the toplevel Makefile right before the mkconfig's start

Rejected. I really want to be able to see everythin in one place and
file. This may become a long file, but then you know exactly where to
search.

Not so long ago you could run "grep foo Documentation/Configure.help"
in the Linux kernel tree to find out what  config  option  "foo"  was
about.  Try this in a current Linux kernel tree with it's zillions of
scattered   Kconfig   files   (including   all   the    Kconfig.char,
Kconfig.debug,      Kconfig.i386,      Kconfig.net,     Kconfig.scsi,
Kconfig.x86_64 and what else variants).

Please don't worry about such merge conflicts in  the  Makefile  -  I
never complaint about such merge conflicts when adding patches.

> This is the first patch I send, if I have made any glaring mistakes,
> I will try to improve based on feedback.

I reject this patch because it tries to fix a poroblem which does not
exist, and instead it makes the code much harder to maintain.

> diff -purN u-boot-1.1.4-0rig/board/template/board.mk > u-boot-1.1.4/board/template/board.mk
> --- u-boot-1.1.4-0rig/board/template/board.mk	1970-01-01 > 01:00:00.000000000 +0100
> +++ u-boot-1.1.4/board/template/board.mk	2006-08-23 21:50:30.000000000 > +0200

Why don't you use git?

> +include	board/*/board.mk

BTW: this approach is broken. It does not handle the case of vendor
directories like board/amcc/, board/esd/, etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The more data I punch in this card,  the lighter it becomes, and the
lower the mailing cost."
                     - Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"