[U-Boot-Users] Makefile suggestion

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Wed Aug 23 22:21:54 CEST 2006

Have been thinking about how to add patches in a non-intrusive way.

The U-boot Makefile is quite large and growing.
I have seen problem where a new patch breaks because another patch has been applied
between the checkout of the source dir and the acceptance of the patch.
("avr32" board support breaks on "blackfin")

Even if you make sure that the patch is OK vs todays git,
if another guy sends in a board patch at the same time,
and they are close to each other, then the first one
to get acceptance first "wins".

The main function of the proposed patch is to add:
"include    board/*/board.mk"
to the toplevel Makefile right before the mkconfig's start

Each provider of a new board package can put his/her own
./mkconfig xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
 inside the board directory board.mk file.

There are no board/board.mk files in the current tree, so I do not think there is any conflict with existing boards.
If there aren't any "board/*/board.mk" files present, "make" fails,
so the patch also creates a dummy file  : "board/template/board.mk".

The patch does not do *anything* at the moment except including empty files in the make process.
It does create a platform to allow easier patch management for both developers and Wolfgang
 (if he thinks it is a good idea and accepts the patch)

This is the first patch I send, if I have made any glaring mistakes,
I will try to improve based on feedback.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson