[U-Boot-Users] non intrusive "install" feature

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 24 00:17:13 CEST 2006

Dear Ulf,

in message <00a101c6c6f3$65ba7970$8f4765d5 at atmel.com> you wrote:

> This patch creates the framework for an "install" feature.
> The toplevel Makefile 'includes' the file "install.mk" which currently
> is empty.

Previos comments about distributin information apply here, too.

> Since the "install.mk" file is empty, the patch does not do anything at
> the moment.
> Anyone can add his/her own install feature by modifying the install.mk
> file

What is the difference between editing  "Makefile"  and  "install.mk"
(except that typing "install.mk" takes two more characters) ?

What do we win with your patch?

> Any such install feature will not break as a result of modificaitons of
> the main Makefile
> so they can easily be applied on top of a new "git".

You just shifted the problem to a different file. To me this is not
better, but actually worse.

> Have been thinking about how to accomodate Wolfgangs remarks on install
> feature and still get what I desire.
>
> This patch creates the framework for an "install" feature.
> The toplevel Makefile 'includes' the file "install.mk" which currently
> is empty.
>
> Since the "install.mk" file is empty, the patch does not do anything at
> the moment.
> Anyone can add his/her own install feature by modifying the install.mk
> file

Ummm.... Please have a look at the CHANGELOG file for the correct
format of CHANGELOG entries. Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's  because  they're
the  ones  who  see  what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's
only the losers who have glorious victories.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_