[U-Boot-Users] Cache issue on MPC8xx

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 24 14:16:43 CEST 2006

In message <b4ebaa9d0608240455p26c28d4ey2ebf3768f986c8c2 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I want to apply some simple tests on MPC855T and need to turn on both
> instruction- and data-cache. I have used the codes in cpu/mpc8xx/start.S(as

Please read the README to understand why this is not so easy.

> follows), but it crashes while trying to write IDC_ENABLE to DC_CST. Do I
> have to enable the MMU first? If so,

This is one option, but it may require lots of changes everywhere  in
the  8xx  drivers.  Another  option is to make sure you run your code
without using any  U-Boot  services  (and  interrupts  disabled)  and
disable DC before returning.

> how? I have tried the code in
> linuxppc_2_4_devel/arch/ppc/kernel/head_8xx.S, it also crashes while
> trying to write MSR_DR|MSR_IR to msr.

U-Boot is not Linux, so no big surprise...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are certain things men must do to remain men.