[U-Boot-Users] [LinuxBIOS] Microkernel / Manufacturers

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 21:50:34 CEST 2006

On 8/26/06, William DUCK <guillaume.fortaine at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently involved into the UEFI project.

I am curious, what code base are you using? Has UEFI released any open
source code?

I would want to build an Open Source UEFI firmware in the style of
> U-Boot/LinuxBIOS but to boot a microkernel.

What is the reason for UEFI? It's not a very good design. Why not just use
linux as your bios instead, as we are doing on OLPC? We have successfully
booted all kinds of OSes with Linux and/or LinuxBIOS. There is nothing
special about a microkernel vis a vis a boot loader. What special attribute
does UEFI have that makes it necessary?

Which manufacturer could I contact to build a firmware ? ( to have the
> specs/datasheets of the hardware)

Do you object to GPL? If not, you could just use linuxbios as the foundation
for your UEFI, and save a lot of work on the messy device startup code. I
think we would be happy to help you.

But first, you might want to think hard about the following question: Why
UEFI, when you could use Linux to boot your microkernel instead? The big
advantage to using Linux as a bootloader, is that you can test the whole
boot path under Linux; it's really a wonderful way to go!

thanks

ron