[U-Boot-Users] MPC8548 L2 Cache

Steve Williams steve at parsonscroft.plus.com
Sun Aug 27 12:54:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am porting u-boot to our new 8548 based board. Using a Vision Click
probe from Windriver as our debug tool.

Has anybody used the Vision Probe to flash an MPC8548 based system?

I am trying to use the L2 cache as RAM for the flash algorithm, all the
RAM tests that are provided by the Windriver stuff say the RAM is OK but
the system fails to flash hinting (error messages are not really a
strong point here) that it can't reliably write into the RAM.

Windriver suggest that the MPC8548 L2 cache, when used as RAM does not
work properly!

Has anybody used the L2 cache on an 8548 with any other probe (BDI2000?)
and had the flash algorithm run form L2 cache as RAM?

I can run code from this RAM to set stuff up like TLB's etc so I know it
works OK to that extent.

I find it hard to accept that a processor at this stage of development
would have such a fundamental problem.

I have used this technique with an 8560 based system and the Vision
Probe and it all works OK.

Any light that anybody can throw on this would be much appreciated, even
just to say which tool you used to flash a system with an MPC8548 in.

Regards

Steve Williams