[U-Boot-Users] Incorrect exception reporting for PPC405 in Xilinx VirtexII Pro FPGAs?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Aug 31 11:39:17 CEST 2006

Hi Keith,

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 20:07, Keith J Outwater wrote:
> In the function above, the cause of the exception is being inferred from
> the msr, but according to the Xilinx documentation (PowerPC Processor
> Reference Guide, EDK 6.1, September 2, 2003), the msr does not provide
> this information.  In fact, it is the ESR (Exception Syndrome Register)
> that indicated the cause of the exception.

Good catch.

> I checked, and it does not appear that this register is provided in the
> pt_regs struct.
>
> So now to my question:  Am I on the right track here?  Has anyone else
> looked at this and fixed this code if it is in fact broken?  If it needs
> fixing, can anyone provide some pointers?

You seem to be right here. So we (you) need to fix this routine to use the
correct register (ESR) with the correct bits. Best would be, if you could
provide a patch. A patch against your 3 weeks old U-Boot version is ok, since
this file didn't change for a quite long time. And please also provide a
CHANGELOG entry.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan