[U-Boot-Users] Boot Linux kernel from external HDD, connected to PCI interface.

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Mon Dec 4 21:28:51 CET 2006

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Leonid wrote:

> I have AMCC PPC440EP card with Silicon Image 680 PCI-IDE chip, external
> HDD is connected to it as IDE1 - see snapshot from Linux booting log:

At least it works on Kurobox with this one:

0000:00:0c.0 IDE interface: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller

so, at least inprinciple, it might also work for you...

> The question is does u-boot itself support Silicon Image or, by other
> words, can I boot kernel from some partition on HDD (behind this PCI-IDE
> chip) and if yes - how?

Don't know, maybe it's just generic PCI IDE support. Look at the "ide"
command. u-boot supports ext2. To load a file from hda1 /boot, e.g.,

ext2load ide 0:1 <addr> boot/uImage

where "0" means hda, and :1 the first partition.

HTH
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski