[U-Boot-Users] builtin OF tree dtb gone

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Sat Dec 16 20:59:01 CET 2006

Don't like this idea, its not a runtime/kernel load feature, IMHO.
What devices that is supported should be provided by firmware.

> > Secondly, now you have to reserve a DTB flash partion so you have
> > somewhere to store it and that is a waste of space.
> > Then you have to add even more args to the boot command to
> tell uboot where
> > to find it.
>
> All this can be dealt with by using a multi-file image.

Can you add/modify OF items in a multi-file image?

> > To me this new OF seems like a nice feature for developing new
> > stuff, but once you are done and ready to ship it only complicates
> > things for boards that don't need this new flexibility.
>
> I disagree here.

Clearly, but you don't say why. You are saying that a multi-file image
might work but that won't work in a system where you need different OF trees.
I am supposed to supply X multi-file images, one for each board where only the
DTB differ?

   Regards
             Jocke