[U-Boot-Users] builtin OF tree dtb gone

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Dec 17 01:37:59 CET 2006

In message <007701c7214c$a1c6f430$1e67a8c0 at Jocke> you wrote:

> Don't like this idea, its not a runtime/kernel load feature, IMHO.
> What devices that is supported should be provided by firmware.

Then store the DTB in flash, probably as part of  your  production  /
update mechanism. Nobody prevents you from doing this.

> > I disagree here.
>
> Clearly, but you don't say why. You are saying that a multi-file image
> might work but that won't work in a system where you need different OF trees.

Of course not.

> I am supposed to supply X multi-file images, one for each board where only the
> DTB differ?

No.

For a complete system you need U-Boot  plus  DTB  plus  Linux  kernel
[plus  root file system ...]. You may find, that for different boards
any of these components may be different or the same,  so  no  matter
which  you  bundle  together it will work fine in some setups, and be
unconvenient in others. The best flexibility is when  all  three  are
separate,  so  that's  the  default option we provide. If you want to
combine U-Boot plus DTB, fine, you define your [flash] memory map. If
you want to combine Linux and DTB, ok, use a multifile image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never worry about theory as long as  the  machinery  does  what  it's
supposed to do.                                      - R. A. Heinlein