[U-Boot-Users] builtin OF tree dtb gone

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Dec 17 18:10:43 CET 2006

In message <008901c721e6$ece8c160$1e67a8c0 at Jocke> you wrote:

> > Then store the DTB in flash, probably as part of  your  production  /
> > update mechanism. Nobody prevents you from doing this.
>
> Well, newer versions of U-boot prevents me from embedding the OF tree
> inside the u-boot image.

I wrote "in flash" - this does not mean that it has  to  be  embedded
within  the  U-Boot  image.  It  can  be simply attached to it's end,
probably with some padding to allow for sector alignment.

> "in some setups", that's the point. Our setup works fine with
> an embedded OF tree in u-boot. If I am to adapt to this new
> method of supplying the OF tree, not only will I have to repartion
> the flash to fit the tree in there, I also need to make sure

It should make very little difference (probably not  visible  to  the
rest  of the system), if the tree is embedded within the U-Boot image
or attached to it's end (or if it's preceeding the image).

> that some 15-20 people learns this new concept for no real gain.

You complain abouyt a problem where there is none.

> It is nothing wrong with having the ability provide a OF tree
> at boot time, but forcing everyone to do so is. The
> most flexible way is to have both.

You are not forced into anything here.

If you like, you can  still  use  your  own  boared-specific  lkinker
script  and  "embed"  he tree to any location in your image; you just
have to find a good way to remember the start address. Actually  that
should  not  be  too  difficult,  either.  It  should be prossible to
automatically set an environment variable to the right address.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Everyting looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it's  just
another job.                     - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_