[U-Boot-Users] lib_xxxx and board.c concept

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 26 21:56:04 CET 2006

In message <003e01c63a5f$138e8810$0c2ca8c0 at fnibm> you wrote:

> Does anyone know the concept (if any) behind the lib_xxx directories and
> the board.c file ?

Yes.

> Although lib__xxx would indicate a generic/common set of cpu
> architecture specific functions, the board.c file actually contains
> board related initialization functions.

Yes.

> Wouldn't these functions better live in the board specific directories ?

Define "better". Better in terms of ... ?

> There is a long text in board.c explaining that now there is an array of
> functions to be called during startup/initialization, but the functions
> included are still listed in board.c - so any board specific function
> would (still) have to be selected using ifdef's.

Feel free to submit a patch to clean this up, keeping  in  mind  that
the memory footprint must not be increased by such a patch.

> Now it seems I need to change the existing board.c file for the
> architecture I'm dealing with (microblaze), which means I could
> potentially break the existing (suzaku) code that's already there.

It is your responsibility to make sure that your patches do NOT break
existing board support.

> Also does anyone have a list of initialization functions (I won't get
> all by grepping for *_init ).

Why not?

> ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C63A67.750FCC90

> <HTML><HEAD>

And will you please STOP posting HTML here? Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are three ways to get something  done:  do  it  yourself,  hire
someone, or forbid your kids to do it.