[U-Boot-Users] IMPORTANT NOTE to all maintainers with NAND flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 28 10:21:47 CET 2006

Hello,

this is a "heads up" note to all  maintainers  of  boards  with  NAND
flash:

I am going to drop support for the old NAND flash code and replace it
by Ladislav Michl's rewrite, which is available in the "testing-NAND"
branch of our git repository.

This new code has been available for testing for 6 months, and I have
not received any negative feedback (I did not  receive  any  positive
feedback,  either  - but if you did not care until now you should not
complain later).

Dropping the support for the old code means that the  build  for  all
boards  that use NAND currently will *break*. I am aware that this is
not a nice thing to do, but I see no other way to get  the  attention
of  the  board maintainers and force them to update their code to the
new way for their boards. This should be not be  very  hard,  though.
Since  the  new  implementation  is  borrowed from Linux, it is quite
likely that the said boards could use the new  NAND  support  already
present for them in the Linux source.

We will now merge the "testing-NAND" branch back into the main  tree;
once  this  is done, I will allow for a transition period of 4 weeks.
After this, the old code will be removed, even if it  breaks  support
for some boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.