[U-Boot-Users] OS dependencies on the bootloader

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 4 23:30:02 CET 2006

In message <43BC4A51.9050203 at mc.com> you wrote:

> A general bootloader question: How much hardware initialization should a
> bootloader perform for the target OS?

As little as possible, as much as necessary.

> I see a minimal memory controller setup to allow subsequent loading of
> an OS image. ECC might also be setup but all remaining resources would
> typically be setup by the OS.

Right.

> Although I haven't tried booting Linux (we boot the vxworks bootrom),
> does an embedded Linux make any assumptions about what the bootloader
> initializes?

Yes. Depending on architecture and kernel versions certain parameters
(ATAGs, bd_info structure, OF tree, whatever) have to be  initialized
and passed to the kernel.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Digital computers are themselves more complex than most things people
build: They have very large numbers of states. This makes conceiving,
describing, and testing them hard. Software systems  have  orders-of-
magnitude more states than computers do.           - Fred Brooks, Jr.