[U-Boot-Users] Suggestion on flash init

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Wed Jan 4 23:31:48 CET 2006

Wang Jian wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang Denk,
>

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:34:49 +0100, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>

>>In message <20051225190658.F3F9.LARK at linux.net.cn> you wrote:
>>
>>>I have tested cfi_flash.c for a while. Unfortuanately, it fails for
>>>Spansion S29AL016M. The chip can be recognized, chip information is all
>>>correct, but the erase and write routines fail.
>>
>>Then please (lets) fix the problem instead of inventing the wheel again.
>

> After a bad sleep, I read the manual again. This time, I find the cfi_flash.c
> DOES do as what manual says. I will set some debug information and find
> what happend. Stay tune.

You might want to check list archives regarding cfi_flash.c and the a
number of patches that are created over the past year that is *still*
pending to be incorporated to the mainline.

And if you check the mailing list archives you might find that Spansion
chip (most probably) auto locks all sectors when powered up so you will
need to issue unlock sequence before write/erase can succeed. There has
been some spirited discussions on this and Wolfgang as a U-Boot project
leader had explained the way he wants the issue addressed.

Wolfgang, when can we expect the pull-up of patches on the cfi_flash.c
driver? I am personally holding up for existing patches to go through
before I work on new patches.

Best regards,
Tolunay