[U-Boot-Users] Excluding Env Variable section from the u-boot.bin

Albert David albert.david at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 05:29:36 CET 2006

> Your whole approach seems  overkill  to  me.  Why  don;t  you  simply
> include  a  "saveenv"  command  in your update script? As long as the
> environment is not shifted (which  seems  unlikelyin  your  case)  no
> other changes are needed.
oh! i didnt know this! it's an easy way to retain env variables :)

btw,
when i update my u-boot in the field (for some unavoidable reason),
the update_uboot script erases all the u-boot flash sectors and over
writes the new u-boot.bin - what if somethings goes wrong with the
communication or power while copying u-boot.bin to flash?? i may loose
important settings of my product in the field! u-boot.bin  can always
be updated using the BDI tool! But i cannot recover the environment
variables.

i can make my update_uboot script in such a way that, before erasing
the u-boot sectors, it will copy the env section to some free  flash
sector(as a backup) , update the u-boot.bin and then call 'saveenv'. i
hope this is the better way to protect my environment variables.

please let me know if someone has better idea than this.
Best regards,
Albert.