[U-Boot-Users] STE100p PHY

Madhu Saravana Sibi Govindan ssshayagriva at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 05:00:56 CEST 2006

Hello all,

Has anyone used the STE100p (ST Microelectronics part) PHY device on
any board? I have a custom board based on 440GP and STE100p. I'm
currently at the U-boot prompt and have configured all the required
environmental variables. However, I'm not able to ping external hosts
from the board. I see these messages:

sending ARP for c0a80101
ARP broadcast 1
ARP broadcast 2
ping failed; host 192.168.1.1 is not alive

I'm not sure what is happening wrong. I'm trying to use the MII PHY
mode for the 440GP's EMAC-ZMII bridge.  I also tried installing
ethereal on the host machine, but it does not receive any ARP packets
from the board. I'm not able to ping the board from the host too. I
suspect that the PHY device has not been initialized properly. Also,
I'm using the ebony board'd code as a base for this custom board (with
whatever modifications I could think of).

When I type "mii info" at u-boot prompt, I see these messages:

PHY 0x00: OUI = 0x70100, Model = 0x01, Rev = 0x01, 100baseT, FDX
Error reading info from the PHY (repeated lot of times)
PHY 0x1F: OUI = 0x70100, Model = 0x01, Rev = 0x01, 100baseT, FDX

Also, how does CONFIG_PHY_ADDR work? Is it determined by the jumpers
on the board?

I'd appreciate it if someone gives some pointers to proceed with the debugging.

Thanks a ton,
G.Sibi