[U-Boot-Users] MAC address setting

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 6 09:58:23 CEST 2006

In message <BAY121-F10E8C00BC2499BA458BAC9C3770 at phx.gbl> you wrote:
> There are many ways to set the MAC address with U-boot.

True. But the fact is, that U-Boot normally doies  NOT  set  the  MAC
address  at  all - not unless it needs it for U-0Boot operations like
network related commands.

> you can hard code the MAC address in include/configs/xxx.h where xxx.h is
> your board configuration file.

I'm sorry, but thisis a really stupid idea. You will end up with many
systems all using the same MAC address which is in violation  of  the
standards and will cause lots of nasty trouble later.

DON'T DO THIS!

> You can also develop command to accept the MAC address and put in EEPROM of
> MAC controller.

Of course. But please understand that this is not U-Boot's responsibility.
It's a Linux driver issue.

> >From: "Jevgeni Zolotarjov" <zhenja at zlo.ee>
> >To: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> >Subject: [U-Boot-Users] MAC address setting
> >Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:53:17 +0300

And please don't top post / full quote!!

See http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
	-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4