[U-Boot-Users] MAC address setting

Mirco Fuchs mircofuchs at web.de
Thu Jul 6 08:37:53 CEST 2006

> Hi all!
>
> I have custom designed ARM board, based on AT91RM9200EK reference design.
> Hardware works fine.
> And I have following problem: When U-boot loads Kernel image from tftp,
> everything fine. When U-Boot starts kernel from flash, then Linux cannot
> communicate to ethernet device. I understand, that this is because MAC
> address was not set by U-Boot. But I could not find a command to initialise
> Ethernet.

I have the same problem with an other AT91RM9200 based board, but
this is not an u-boot issue. The kernel driver for the emac should
initialize this correctly, but this is obviously not the case. I
worked around this problem by doing a ping manually before booting
linux or by inserting the eth_init() function call in
start_armboot().

Regards

Mirco