[U-Boot-Users] MAC address setting

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 6 10:02:07 CEST 2006

In message <44ACCBE1.32244.109A0E at mircofuchs.web.de> you wrote:

> initialize this correctly, but this is obviously not the case. I
> worked around this problem by doing a ping manually before booting
> linux or by inserting the eth_init() function call in
> start_armboot().

I just want to point out that this is a really bad idea. Instead, you
should fixe the problem where it existis, i. e. in the Linux  driver.
If  you  want, implement a way to pass the MAC address from U-Boot to
Linux, either as a boot argument or by your platform-specific way  of
passing  such  parameters [I never understood why nobody came up with
an ATAG for the MAC address yet. But maybe this  would  just  be  too
simple.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
A:  To prevent the sensible ones from going home.