[U-Boot-Users] dual boot by modifying u-boot environment variables from linux/vxWorks

Robert Steele Robert.D.Steele at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 12 01:10:34 CEST 2006

I want to be able to 'dual' boot my system, a Gespac PCIPPC-2 (power pc),
by the using the method of modifying the u-boot environment variables from
either vxWorks or Linux. This way if I boot up in the 'wrong' system I can
change the boot parameters and reboot. It looks like the fw* utilities
require /dev/mds1 and /dev/mds1 to reference the flash memory and this does
not appear to be set up in my kernel. Does this require a re-build of my
kernel or are there other less dramatic options available. If anyone can
point me to any solutions I would very much appreciate the references.

If someone knows of a better solutions for rebooting that would be nice to
hear about. One of my requirements is that the final system will have a
monitor or keyboard on it for this rebooting process.

Thanks,

Rob Steele