[U-Boot-Users] dual boot by modifying u-boot environment variables from linux/vxWorks

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 12 01:31:11 CEST 2006

In message <6.1.1.1.2.20060711160541.01e6e740 at mail.jpl.nasa.gov> you wrote:
> I want to be able to 'dual' boot my system, a Gespac PCIPPC-2 (power pc),
> by the using the method of modifying the u-boot environment variables from
> either vxWorks or Linux. This way if I boot up in the 'wrong' system I can
> change the boot parameters and reboot. It looks like the fw* utilities
> require /dev/mds1 and /dev/mds1 to reference the flash memory and this does

"/dev/mds*" is not  a  common  name  for  Linux.  I  guess  you  mean
/dev/mtd* instead?

> not appear to be set up in my kernel. Does this require a re-build of my
> kernel or are there other less dramatic options available. If anyone can

Yes, if the kernel is not configured to include MTD support then  you
will   have  to  reconfigure  it  and  build  it  (or  at  least  the
corresponding  modules).  But  that's   a   trivial   task,   nothing
"dramatic".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I believe you find life such a problem because you  think  there  are
the  good  people  and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There
are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are  on  oppo-
site sides.                      - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_