[U-Boot-Users] Question on MII devices

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Jul 13 11:22:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thursday 13 July 2006 01:36, Madhu Saravana Sibi Govindan wrote:
> I'm currently debugging u-boot on a custom board. It has a STE100p PHY
> device. However, when I do "mii info" at the U-boot command prompt, I
> see this:

> PHY_PHYIDR2 @ 0x0 = 0x0011
> device name  = ppc_4xx_eth0
> PHY_PHYIDR[1,2] @ 0x0 = 0x1c040011
> PHY 0x00: OUI = 0x70100, Model = 0x01, Rev = 0x01, 100baseT, FDX

PHY address 0 is on some PHY's a broadcast address. So possibly your PHY will
respond to it's configured address and to address 0.

What is your PHY address? Meaning for what address is your PHY configured in
your design?

<snip>

> I'm confident that there is only one PHY device. If so, why should the
> same device be seen twice? Has anyone seen this behavior before and
> know what might be wrong?

See above.

> I can't get the "ping" command to work (though the ethernet interface
> is recognized and initialized by u-boot). The U-boot debug statements
> say that the board is sending out ARP requests, but no body seems to
> receive the request (using ethereal).  Can someone give me directions
> as to how to debug this problem?

It seems to be a custom 4xx board. Did you enable the debug output of the
ethernet driver (INFO_4XX_ENET)?

Best regards,
Stefan