[U-Boot-Users] clarifications u-boot for arm

Ram vshrirama at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:29:49 CEST 2006

Hi,
    I am using a omap5912osk board which uses arm926-ejs CPU.

    I am trying to understand the flow of u-boot - what really happens
when the board is powered on till i get the u-boot prompt which
accepts commands from the user.

   I started with the file u-boot-1.1.4/cpu/arm926ejs/start.S

   Is this the place where u-boot actually starts?.

   It tries switch the cpu mode to SVC32 mode and relocates u-boot to
RAM, disables MMU
   and does so many things which i dont really understand.

   Could anyone explain it to me what really is happening out there and why?.

   Then i figured out that a function start_armboot() is called.  This
function is present in
    lib_arm/board.c is this function called by start.S?

    Where exactly it is called from?.

   There is a reference to start_armboot in start.S not sure if it is the one?.

    ldr pc, _start_armboot

_start_armboot:
    .word start_armboot

  Does this actually invoke start_armboot?.

  I have got so far. could  you please tell me am i right in my understarting?.

  I understand that start_armboot initialises the the cpu, board, dram....

  Once this is done - we can say that the board has been initialised.

  Now start_armboot provides a prompt to accept and download the kernel.

  Am i right in assuming this?.

  Any other information and pointers u provide will be helpful

  I am trying to understand u-boot sources and any help will be highly
appreciated.

  I just wanted to clarify my understanding.

   Thanks and Regards,
     sriram